A working and efficient furnace has become essential for home comfort, particularly during chilly winters like the ones in Nazareth, PA. Selecting a new heating system can be challenging since many brands and additional features are on the market. This guide will simplify the task by listing and explaining the main factors to consider when buying a new furnace.

1. Furnace Type

The first step in choosing a new furnace is to determine which type will best suit your needs. The three main types are gas, electric and oil furnaces. Gas furnaces are the most popular due to their affordability and efficiency, with an Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency (AFUE) of up to 95%.

Electric furnaces are less expensive up-front but can be less efficient, even with an AFUE (thermal efficiency) of 100%. While not as common as gas or electric, oil furnaces offer high efficiency and can be a good option for those living in areas without access to natural gas.

2. Size and Heating Capacity

Your furnace’s size and heating capacity are other crucial aspects to consider. A heating system that is too small won’t be able to adequately heat your home, resulting in cold spots and discomfort. Conversely, a heating system that is too large will cycle on and off frequently, reducing efficiency and causing warm and cool areas in your home.

It’s essential to accurately determine the correct size furnace for your home, considering aspects such as square footage, insulation quality and climate. An HVAC professional can calculate the heat load to identify the suitable size and capacity for your needs.

3. Efficiency Ratings

Furnace efficiency is measured by its AFUE rating. A higher AFUE percentage indicates a more efficient furnace.

For instance, a furnace with an AFUE of 90% converts 90% of its fuel into heat, with the remaining 10% lost. High-efficiency furnaces can significantly reduce energy consumption and lower heating bills, making them worth the initial investment.

4. Features

The modern furnace has many features to increase efficiency, safety and convenience. For example, a double heat exchanger will remove more heat from the combustion gas.

Variable-speed blowers adjust their speed to your home’s heating needs. This provides more efficient performance than single-speed blowers.

Other worthwhile features include self-diagnostics, ignitor technology and air filtration systems to improve indoor air quality. When choosing your new furnace, consider the benefits of these features, and determine whether they meet your specific needs and contribute to long-term savings.

5. Budget Considerations

Buying a new furnace is expensive, so you should consider how much you can afford before buying one. The furnace’s sticker price is not the sole consideration. You’ll also want to look at installation, maintenance and repair costs.

High-efficiency furnaces are expensive, but you’ll benefit from lower energy bills over the years. A cheaper furnace with fewer features can suit your budget but could be expensive in the long run due to high power bills and future repairs.

6. Warranty and Extended Coverage

A furnace is a long-term investment, and it’s vital to consider the warranty and coverage options when making your decision. Look for manufacturers offering comprehensive warranties, including parts, labor and heat exchanger coverage.

Some HVAC companies offer extended coverage plans for additional peace of mind. It’s worth exploring these options to protect your investment and potentially save on future repair costs.

7. Maintenance and Repair Services

Maintaining your furnace ensures proper functioning while enhancing its service life. Check if the price for the selected furnace includes maintenance from the manufacturer or HVAC contractor.

Even if not included, it’s imperative to provide ongoing care, such as scheduling periodic maintenance, changing filters often and making timely repairs. This helps you avoid losing time, money and effort in the future.

A good furnace is essential to offer reliable comfort for a long period. Call our team at Sullivan Heating & Cooling when you need furnace installation, repairs or maintenance in Nazareth, PA.

Image provided by iStock

Pin It on Pinterest

Compliance Settings
Increase Font Size
Simplified Font
Underline Links
Highlight Links