A programmable thermostat is one of the easiest and least expensive ways to reduce your cooling or warming costs while keeping your home comfortable throughout the year. Here are a few tips that can help you get the most savings from your programmable thermostat:
Select the Right Thermostat for Your Needs
- Check with your HVAC contractor to find a thermostat that’s compatible with your heating or cooling system. Some systems, such as heat pumps, may only be compatible with certain types of thermostats.
- Choose a model that fits your schedule. Some models offer one program for the entire week with several temperature changes a day. Others offer different programs for the weekdays and weekends, and the most flexible offer individual programs for each day.
- Select a model with the features you desire. Advanced models offer options like touchscreen controls, intelligent automatic programming, WiFi connectivity, remote access with mobile devices or control of multiple temperature zones.
Program It Carefully
For the greatest reduction in cooling costs, tailor the program to fit your schedule as close a possible.
- Choose a comfortable setting for your usual temperature — around 78 degrees. For each degree higher you set it, you can save 1 to 3 percent off your cooling costs.
- Increase the temperature about half an hour before you leave for work or go to sleep. By raising the temperature 10 to 15 degrees for at least 8 hours a day, you can save up to 15 percent off your cooling costs.
- Return the temperature to normal about half an hour before you’re due to arrive home or wake up. This will give your home a chance to cool down to your preferred temperature.
- For winter savings, reduce the temperature by 10 to 15 degrees when you leave home or go to sleep.
To learn more about your heating system or the features and benefits of a programmable thermostat, check out Sullivan Oil and Propane’s programmable thermostat selection or give us a call at 610-365-1268.